Posted Thu, 21 Mar 2019 18:10:33 GMT by Sarah Prange IT Business Intelligence

I'm trying to understand DocuWare's permission structure. I know I can create functional profiles and file cabinet profiles and assign them to roles. I'm a little unclear as to the best method to assigning users. Do I add users to a role or to a group? What is the best practice? I feel as though groups are rather redundant if I can assign users to a role. What am I missing? Thanks in advance.

Posted Thu, 21 Mar 2019 19:00:40 GMT by Phil Robson DocuWare Corporation Senior Director Professional Services, Americas

Sarah,
Unless you have a particular need to use Groups don't bother with them as they can in many ways add a level of complexity that is not required.
If you are synchronizing users with Active Directory then groups are necessary but otherwise not.

Assign your users to Roles.
Assign Roles to Function Profiles.
Assign Roles to File Cabinet Dialogs and Permissions.

Assigning Roles to Function profiles and file cabinets makes administration a lot simpler. When you create a new user, simply add them to the applicable role(s) and you do not need to do anything more since they will inherit all the necessary rights to cabinets etc.
Remember also, that Rights in DocuWare are additive. Meaning the user will inherit the sum of the permissions granted in Function profiles or File Cabinets.

Phil Robson
Senior Director Support Americas

You must be signed in to post in this forum.