Publicado Wed, 21 Mar 2018 15:52:56 GMT por Neal Ford Information Service Manager

Having some issues with reading barcode labels. In receiving we place a sticker on all packing slips with the vendor ID and PO number associated with that order and then scan it into Docuware. Docware then indexes both the vendor ID and PO number and performs other automations in the evening hours. For the most part this has worked well but we run into issues where Docuware mistakes an "I" for a 1 and a "W" as "VV" and other similar issues. I'm trying to get using barcodes for these labels to elminate these misreads.

I was able to create a new "Import" configuration with a label printed out of Epicor and Docuware reads that fine but when we print the same barcode on label and scan it in Docuware is unable to read it. The labels are printed on a Zebra thermal printer and scanned in with a Fujitsu scanner. I tried to use the "barcode" field in the configurator but it says, "no barcode found in field area".

I have cleaned the scanner, up'd the DPI and gone from black & white to grayscale with no luck. Some of the packing slips have barcodes from the vendor and DW is able to read that correctly.

I believe the font we're using is Code39 but could be wrong.

Are there any other recommendations on using and reading barcodes in Docuware?

Have already looked at the following:

I have attached and example of the barcode straight out of Epicor and one that has been scanned back in.

https://www.docuware.com/sites/default/files/forums-images/barcode_scanned_in.png

https://www.docuware.com/sites/default/files/forums-images/barcode_out_of_ERP.png

Publicado Wed, 21 Mar 2018 16:19:00 GMT por Joe Kaufman Bell Laboratories Inc No longer there

Neal,

Can you read those barcodes with a barcode scanner? Just a normal scanner like RedLaser on an iPhone? I printed the codes and they looked clear enough, but I could not read the codes with my iPhone nor with a Motorola industrial handheld computer w/ scanner.

I have attached Code 39 barcodes for the values you attached, and the barcodes do not look the same upon visual inspection. Some parts are similar, but it looks like your codes are missing beginning and end markers. I am no barcode expert, but think something is getting truncated on the barcode fields. Compare what I have attached to what you list, and you will see my codes have extra stuff at the start and end. My barcodes are readable by my handheld scanner and by my iPhone (RedLaser).

If you can't read the barcodes with a scanner, then DocuWare will not be able to scan them in either. I think this is a starts/end issue which barcodes are finicky about (and I wish I knew more about it to help...).

Thanks,

Joe Kaufman

https://www.docuware.com/sites/default/files/forums-images/189566.jpg

https://www.docuware.com/sites/default/files/forums-images/s86500.jpg

Publicado Wed, 21 Mar 2018 16:42:09 GMT por Neal Ford Information Service Manager

Thanks for the quick reply Joe. Yea I've had no luck on either the barcode scanner nor iphone. I did remove the beginning and ending mark because Docuware was indexing those but that may have been from using the text identifier and not the bar code.

I will add the markings back in and make sure Code39 is selected.

Thank you,

Neal Ford

Publicado Wed, 21 Mar 2018 17:01:14 GMT por Joe Kaufman Bell Laboratories Inc No longer there

I hope that works! Do let us know if so. Folks using a lot of barcodes are not all that plentiful on these boards.  *smile*  We live and die by scan sheets for about 99% of documents we scan in.

Thanks,

Joe Kaufman

Publicado Wed, 21 Mar 2018 17:37:05 GMT por Paul Wiggers Systems Analyst

Neal,

From your comments it looks like the labels are being applied manually by hand,. Is that correct? If so I would put some more space between the barcodes themselves and create a new configuration. Sometimes when they are spaced that closely and scanned it can cause the page to shift which will affect the barcode readout zone in the configuration. One way to test is to replace the sample document in the configuration with one that failed, if you are saving the barcode cover sheet.  See if the barcodes still line up with the readout zones.Not sure if this will help but it's worth a shot.  If not I would strongly suggest opening a Support Request with DocuWare.

I've included a link of supported barcode types with DocuWare - https://docuware.com/support_faq/index.php?action=artikel&cat=185&id=155...

Publicado Wed, 21 Mar 2018 19:22:49 GMT por Neal Ford Information Service Manager

Yes Paul they are being applied manually by hand and for the most part they are in the same spot and usually aligned but not all of them are perfect.

We have already seen improvement once the starting and ending markers were added back in and Code39 was installed.

Publicado Wed, 21 Mar 2018 19:34:00 GMT por Joe Kaufman Bell Laboratories Inc No longer there

Neal,

When you say "seeing improvement" do you mean the number correctly read has just increased a bit or now works all the time? How many bar codes are on a sheet? I know you read that other thread, but have you increased "ExpectedNoBarcodes" to 99 in the VintaSoft config file? I highly recommend that. Because we didn't just "see improvement" -- we have not had a single barcode read fail on any documents for about 5 months now. We are talking hundreds of thousands of barcodes across thousands of documents and several auto-ID Import Configurations. Some of our scan sheets have 19 bar codes on them, and I am monitoring all manually changed indexes -- there have been none for months.

Once you get barcoding working with the right codes installed and ExpectedNoBarcodes = 99 you should be be bulletproof at 300 dpi. If not, then something else might still be going on, such as erratic placement of the barcodes (meaning you need to spread things out and make read-out areas as large -- but still distinct -- as possible).

Thanks,

Joe Kaufman

Publicado Wed, 21 Mar 2018 19:47:11 GMT por Neal Ford Information Service Manager

We only print out those two barcodes but many of the packing slips we get have barcodes on them from the vendor. So it can either be just those two bar codes or up to 5 on a single page.

I think we still need to do some adjustment on the spacing still.

Thanks,

Neal

https://www.docuware.com/sites/default/files/forums-images/2018-03-21%2015_42_18-DocuWare.png

You must be signed in to post in this forum.