Publicado Fri, 02 Feb 2018 17:24:13 GMT por Joe Kaufman Bell Laboratories Inc No longer there

Hey all,

I am pretty sure I know the answer to this (that it cannot be done natively), but is there a way to display the number of pages in a dcument in a result list? I am still gathering the use-case for this need from my end user, but I can see how it would be helpful when verifying scanned documents or looking for a specific document that you know might be larger or smaller or of a standard page count.

I already have code that gathers page-count information from a file cabinet's related _SECT table, but I have no way of forcing that to display in a result list dialog, obviously, unless I write my own client (no thanks).

The non-native workaround would be to add a page-count index field and then back-fill it via an auto-job. I can do that, I am just not sure the business need is worth that hassle.

Any information or ideas on how best to approach this would be appreciated! If DocuWare cannot do this natively, it would be nice if it were considered for a future release.

Thanks,

Joe Kaufman

Publicado Fri, 02 Feb 2018 19:52:35 GMT por Phil Robson DocuWare Corporation Senior Director Professional Services, Americas

You are right. No native solution. You need a custom field and a strategy to fill it. Another trip to User Voice?

Phil Robson
Senior director Support Americas

Publicado Fri, 02 Feb 2018 20:07:31 GMT por Joe Kaufman Bell Laboratories Inc No longer there

Yeah, another user request there...  To me, the most elegant way of doing this would be to have all of the "System entries" exposed as "Pre-defined entries" that you could assign to a File Cabinet field. No reason one shouldn't be able to expose all of that. Sort of a built in auto-index job. That way people canb even expost things like DWDOCID, which might be useful for more technical services.

I'm off to genericize adding a known index name to store page count and then have my autojob fill it in for any file cabinet having that field name.

Thanks,

JoeK

You must be signed in to post in this forum.