Posted Tue, 01 May 2018 19:56:32 GMT by Ron VandenLangenBerg Applications Developer

Does anyone know of a good way to edit documents in Docuware to get certified Signatures?  We are having trouble because if the doucment is edited in docuware as soon as the certified signature is attached to the document we get the "save as" dialog appearing.  Since the document is still in Docuware, we don't know where the document resides to save over it.

Some of our users are having troubles if they try to check out to file system.  Then they know where to save the signed document, but sometimes have trouble getting it back into the versioned file cabinet.

Posted Wed, 02 May 2018 12:55:47 GMT by Phil Robson DocuWare Corporation Senior Director Professional Services, Americas

When using the Edit function in DocuWare, the document is of course opened in the applicable application. The problem seems to be that the application is forcing a "Save As" instead of Save. It seems like it does not want you to overwrite the orgininal document. This should be investigated. DocuWare downloads the document to the users temp space - Users \ User name \ AppData \ Local \ Temp \ Edit
Then a folder name that will vary depending on the document. Inside that folder will be the file. The file and folder are deleted once the document is edited and saved back to generally there will only be one folder.
So with Save As the user must navigate to the above directory and save the file. DocuWare will detect it as a Save and file it back to DocuWare.
Now this is with 6.12, so depending on your version of DocuWare the file naming may be a bit different.
Select a document and perform an Edit then look for it in the path above.

Phil Robson
Senior Director Support Americas

Posted Wed, 02 May 2018 15:18:12 GMT by Joe Kaufman Bell Laboratories Inc No longer there

Phil,

We probably aren't going to force users to navigate into a temporary folder every time they want to sign a document, so that is not a route we want to go down.

We posted this mainly just to see if other people are affected by this. For example, if you edit a document from DocuWare and digitally sign it in your PDF tool of choice, does the "Save As" pop up? In PDF-XChange it appears to happen every time and I do not see any settings to make it stop (I have posted on the PDF-XChange forums to check about all this).

Has no one ever run into this before? I imagine actual digital signing forces a save in many PDF tools so that it knows to lock fields down and disallow further editing. Otherwise someone could add a signature, make additional changes, and THEN save (doesn't really seem like a problem to me, but order of operations might affect such an "official" operation, especially if the signature contains a timestamp).

I cannot test Adobe Acrobat because I do not know how to officially digitally sign something, just the cursive pseudo signature Adobe generates for you. And going back to Adobe isn't an option anyway since we really like PDF-XChange and can't very well change our preferred PDF editor any time we run into a DocuWare editing anomaly.

So, any ideas on what other people are running into? Can you replocate this issue with your PDF editor of choice by chance?

Thanks,

Joe Kaufman

You must be signed in to post in this forum.