Publié Mon, 07 Jan 2019 16:48:05 GMT par David Blake Ricoh USA Sr. Solution Integrator

A customer wants to give permissions to view docs and print them, but not be allowed to download them.  Any thoughts if this can be done?

I see there is only an EXPORT permission, but nothing that suggests only PRINTING, or only DOWNLOADING.  It appears that DocuWare lumps both of these capabilities into EXPORT

Publié Mon, 07 Jan 2019 17:16:12 GMT par Phil Robson DocuWare Corporation Senior Director Professional Services, Americas

David,
Indeed they are treated as the same thing. To print or download, the document must be exported. In the past it has been possible to stop a user from printing a document in the browser with some local setting. I don't know if this is possible with downloading. From my side, if someone was able to stop me from downloading a document but still allow printing, I would get around that by printing the document to a pdf printer.

Phil Robson
Senior Director Support Americas

Publié Mon, 07 Jan 2019 18:21:52 GMT par David Blake Ricoh USA Sr. Solution Integrator

Please confirm, are the tool bars at all controllable by the administrator which tools are available?  This customer would like to disable the Download button for a group of persons.

Publié Mon, 07 Jan 2019 18:48:00 GMT par Phil Robson DocuWare Corporation Senior Director Professional Services, Americas

David,
I don't think I advised you correctly. Leave the functional right Export as is.
Create a role for the specific users that should be restricted. Then create a Result List Dialog for that that role. Under Result List functions, uncheck the 3 download options. Now make sure the users do not appear in any other Result List dialog. That will remove the context menu options for downloading. I think it will also remove the option buttons in the viewer too, but I need to check that.

Edit: Create a Search dialog for that Role first, and add the Result list to that.

Phil Robson
Senior Director Support Americas

Publié Mon, 07 Jan 2019 19:38:33 GMT par David Blake Ricoh USA Sr. Solution Integrator

Thanks, this worked well for me and I learned something new!

Publié Tue, 08 Jan 2019 14:28:57 GMT par Simon H. Hellmann Wedderhoff IT GmbH Systemadministrator

Hello David,

as Phil already mentioned, please keep in mind that this only disables the download button. However, if the User wants to copy the information from those documents, they have many possibilites to do so. If a user is not allowed to copy a document, but print it, they can just print to PDF, print to a physical printer and scan it, or they could just screenshot the document.

So this setting does by no means prevent the user from redistributing the data, if that is what you want to achieve.

Greetings from Germany,
Simon H. Hellmann
DocuWare System Consultant

You must be signed in to post in this forum.