Publié Mon, 22 Apr 2019 14:31:07 GMT par Craig Heintz SE
I am wondering if there is a method to tell if a customer is using REST services to interact with DocuWare.  In dealing with some customers, they have little knowledge of their systems and who all is involved (Hard to believe but true!).

So if there was a way to expose that this custom interaction is being used that would be helpful in order to advise them properly about upgrading the DW version.
Publié Mon, 22 Apr 2019 14:38:54 GMT par Joe Kaufman Bell Laboratories Inc No longer there
Craig,

What you appear to be asking for is a log of all calls made to the Platform SDK? And to be able to tell the difference between calls to the middleware layer that are from DocuWare's web client and those that are done via some custom scripting/coding? I am not sure DocuWare provides such a log, and it would likely be somewhat difficult to decipher anyway. Anyone accessing DocuWare from the web client could be a potential unknown to this company, too. How do they know who has access to the web site and who is logging in that way?

All functionality is secured, though, regardless of access method. By looking at Users and Roles set up in the system, a client should have a decent understanding of who can access what.

So, other than a full log of every single call that accesses DocuWare (regardless of origin), what would you want to report on?

Thanks,
Joe Kaufman
Publié Mon, 22 Apr 2019 15:07:01 GMT par Craig Heintz SE
Not really looking for anything specific, just to expose if someone is using anything other than the DocuWare Webclient and Desktop Apps to access DocuWare.

As a note, I am not trying to see if any security has been breached, just whether they have any behind the scenes connections going on.
Publié Mon, 22 Apr 2019 15:22:54 GMT par Joe Kaufman Bell Laboratories Inc No longer there
Craig,

In that case, you could monitor the license types in use via the Connections Overview in the DW Admin tool (we are on 6.11 so still have access to that). I am not sure where to monitor connections in other versions.

In the Connections Overview, you can expand connections and see the "Application Type". For example, we have a mix of "Platform Service" and "DocuWare Client". Platform Service is the API, and DocuWare Client is the web client.

It sounds like you would like to have this sort of monitoring be more of a log that you could report on. I am not sure what facility DocuWare has for that, but hopefully someone weighs in on that sort of audit capability. There are some logs on the server, but those appear to be mostly for error logging, not a record of every single transaction.

What version of DW are we discussing, and is it on-prem or in the cloud?

Thanks,
Joe Kaufman

Publié Mon, 22 Apr 2019 15:25:58 GMT par Phil Robson DocuWare Corporation Senior Director Professional Services, Americas
Since DocuWare uses the API itself for many desktop operations you are not going to be able to tell if someone is executing a custom program.
If a customer has the wherewithall to write REST programs then why can't they tell you who is running it/them?

Phil Robson
Senior Director Support Americas

Publié Mon, 22 Apr 2019 15:30:43 GMT par Craig Heintz SE
I agree, why wouldn't they know who wrote it.  However, sometimes a process has been in place and running for some time and the person who wrote/,managed it quit the company.  Just check to see it there is a way and the answer is no.

Are the new versions backwards compatible except for feature changes to the new version?
Publié Mon, 22 Apr 2019 15:35:10 GMT par Joe Kaufman Bell Laboratories Inc No longer there
If they have any sort of automated tasks running, then monitoring the licenses in use (the Application Type) might reveal some tasks using "Platform Service". I am not sure what Application Type the Desktop Tools use.

But if someone has a job automated that only runs once a week in the middle of the night, monitoring is not going to be of much use.

Thanks,
Joe Kaufman
Publié Mon, 22 Apr 2019 15:36:11 GMT par Phil Robson DocuWare Corporation Senior Director Professional Services, Americas
I do not believe that version 6.12 and 7 are backwards compatible. 7 and 7.1 should be to a point, but it is always best to check the technical "What's new" to be sure.

Phil Robson
Senior Director Support Americas

You must be signed in to post in this forum.