Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2018 19:21:41 GMT by Matthew Trembly Software Support Manager

Tray docs may be sorted by all fields except Total Pages.  Does anybody have an idea what gives?

Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2018 20:09:24 GMT by Phil Robson DocuWare Corporation Senior Director Professional Services, Americas

Do you mean the sorting by the number of pages in a document should be available? It seems to me that this is quite specific to a particular customer and I would direct you to User Voice for a feature enhancement. But it may need a lot of votes to have a chance.
Nothing gives. It is not an oversight.

Phil

Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2018 11:50:00 GMT by Matthew Trembly Software Support Manager

Correct, Phil.  It is a customer request.  This customer is scanning 500-700 documents per day to intellix trays and storing to the file cabinet automatically.  Each record is supposed to have an exact number of pages.  It's much simpler to rescan/unstaple/staple etc. while docs are still in the tray instead of when of when they've been discovered in the file cabinet.  The ability to sort by total pages in the tray would make this very easy (and quick) to identify.

If it's not an oversight, then I should deduce that it's by design.  It's an interesting omission considering that it's the only attribute by which tray docs are not able to be sorted.  It looks like it's already been submitted as a feature request and added to the backlog.

Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2018 17:31:05 GMT by Joe Kaufman Bell Laboratories Inc No longer there

Matthew,

I am guessing # of pages is not sortable because # of pages is not a system field stored at the Documkent header level. You have to look up pages elsewhere.

Any chance of putting the documents into a file cabinet and then populating number of pages behind the scene (hitting SQL Server)? We do that on select file cabinets, and I can share the code if you are interested.

Thanks,

Joe Kaufman

Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2018 17:47:00 GMT by Matthew Trembly Software Support Manager

Joe, we're already doing it in the file cabinet, but this begets the whole "copy to tray, do work, store (again), and delete original" thing.  In any case, despite not being a system field stored at the document header level, DW still knows what the value is.

Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2018 17:52:34 GMT by Phil Robson DocuWare Corporation Senior Director Professional Services, Americas

Matt is quite right. If you select "Show index entries" on a document in the tray, select system entries, the last value is the number of pages. So this value should be easy to implement as sortable option.

Phil Robson

Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2018 17:56:11 GMT by Joe Kaufman Bell Laboratories Inc No longer there

Matthew,

I don't work with Document Trays enough -- wow, you are so right. It knows the value and even lists it in the columnar view but doesn't let you sort. That's really, really dumb. I am going to go vote for your idea immediately... I can totally think of several use-case scenarios right off the top of my head for wanting to be able to sort by that...

Thanks,

Joe Kaufman

Posted Tue, 05 Jun 2018 12:36:02 GMT by Tobias Getz DocuWare GmbH Team Leader Product Management

Hi all,

thank you for your questions and contribution here. We looked into this in more detail and there are some topics which have to be considered with the total pages.

It looks like an easy thing to sort the column "Total pages" when it is displayed, but unfortunatly there are some cases where we do not know the number of pages. E.g. if you drag and drop a file to the document tray the initial number which is shown there is "1+". This will change after some time or when the document is viewed. But for some files we are not able to calculate the correct number of pages and then the total pages remain with "1+". 

Simply ordering a list, which maybe has not the correct data, might lead to confusion. We are currently thinking about solutions to this issue.

Regards

Tobias

Posted Tue, 01 Oct 2019 14:11:53 GMT by Matthew Trembly Software Support Manager
Hooray!  It's here!

You must be signed in to post in this forum.