Posted Tue, 12 Nov 2019 22:17:59 GMT by Pat Hernandez Marcon International Inc EVP / COO
Good afternoon,

I am struggling with how to set up a search to locate documents by Docuware's internal document ID. I read other postings about creating a new INT field and using AutoIndex to copy the ID to the new field. However, we do not have AutoIndex nor Workflow Manager. Is there another way to build the field?

We are on DW 7.1 On Premise.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 13 Nov 2019 08:31:49 GMT by Simon H. Hellmann Toshiba Tec Germany Imaging Systems GmbH IT-Consultant Document Management Solutions
Hello Patricia,

the two easy ways would be Autoindex or Workflow manager. However, you can also do this copying on the database layer.
The index data to your files is stored in the Database "dwdata" in a table named just like your file cabinet.
The ID is stored in the very first field, called "DWDOCID" - your newly created int field should be one of the last fields in the table.
You can then create a SQL query to copy the data from the DWDOCID field to the newly created field and make it run hourly or something like that.

Greetings from Germany,
Simon H. Hellmann
DocuWare System Consultant
Posted Sat, 16 Nov 2019 00:19:01 GMT by Pat Hernandez Marcon International Inc EVP / COO
Hello Simon,

Thank you.

Best regards,
Pat
Posted Tue, 19 Nov 2019 06:51:33 GMT by Gilles Sauvagnat Altexence Président
Hello

Sorry to break the enthusiasm, but adding a field in a Docuware system database is not the best way to solve the point.

I would certainly not do that to be sure to continue getting support from DocuWare. Not to mention the potential problem during DW update process.

Up to you to decide.

Best regards

Gilles
Posted Tue, 19 Nov 2019 14:43:56 GMT by Simon H. Hellmann Toshiba Tec Germany Imaging Systems GmbH IT-Consultant Document Management Solutions
Hello Gilles,

i think we have a small misunderstanding here. What I meant to recommend was to do the following, given the scenario that the DW customer has neither AIX nor WF available.

1. Add a new index field (int) to your file cabinet like you usually would and call it "ID" or something like that.
2. Connect to your database and create a script/trigger which copies data from the field "DocID" to the field "ID" in the same row.

From a technical standpoint, you are not messing much with the database and the only thing which might happen is that if you have the "Index Data Backup in storage location" enabled, the data from the field "ID" might not show up in these files - which does not really matter, because the DocID already shows up there.

On the other hand, yes, you are right, there are better ways to do that - namely AIX or WF.
Yes, when you update your DW System, the upgrade might break your script/trigger, you need to check this after each update.
Regarding DW support (as far as I know): DocuWare will still provide support to your system if you do not mess up the database too much - they just won't support the parts you messed with or require you to remove your customizations before working on the database (at least that's what they say, they have not done this to me yet).

However, I can only talk about the EMEA Support team and my personal expiriences.
Regarding US Support, we might want to wait for an answer by Phil.

Greetings from Germany,
Simon H. Hellmann
DocuWare System Consultant

Posted Wed, 20 Nov 2019 06:19:27 GMT by Gilles Sauvagnat Altexence Président
Hello SImon

Sure I understand your point.

But I prefer to stick to the rule no SQL order which add/modify/update anything to any database designed and supported by a software vendor

But as I wrote, up to you to decide, In that case I recommend - to be on the safe side - to get a written consent of the vendor before updating the database outside the supported software.

Best regards

Gilles
Posted Wed, 20 Nov 2019 13:52:39 GMT by Joe Kaufman Bell Laboratories Inc No longer there
Hey all,

What about adding a DocID field to the cabinet, and then using the Platform SDK to populate it from the DWDOCID system field? This results in no custom access of the database and keeps everything in sync since the platform uses the same business logic as changing an index field from the web client.

Patricia, is use of the Platform SDK an option? Setting this up as a console .NET application that gets set to run at regular intervals would be fairly straightforward.

Thanks,
Joe Kaufman
Posted Wed, 20 Nov 2019 14:03:15 GMT by Phil Robson DocuWare Corporation Senior Director Professional Services, Americas
In a 'one off' scenario all of the above are reasonable approaches. However you now have a maintenance issue where any new documents will not have the number. So you have to decide how often you update the database or DocuWare regardless of the method used.
AutoIndex is the right method for this function as you can pretty well set it and forget it.

Phil Robson
Senior Director Client Services, Americas

Posted Wed, 20 Nov 2019 14:11:22 GMT by Joe Kaufman Bell Laboratories Inc No longer there
Phil,

True enough, but not everyone can just buy a new module any time a new business need arises. I could write a console app that does this in probably a couple of hours and then set it to run every five minutes on whatever infrastructure we have developed to run automated tasks. If done right, one would use a straight SQL Server query to see where the new document ID field was zero, and then just populate that field for those documents from DWDOCID using the Platform SDK. Most IT shops have a machine (or some process) set up to run automated tasks.

Of course, if this is a high-volume situation or a scenario where "the sooner the better" when it comes to that field being populated, there is little doubt AIX is the way to go, and probably the most cost effective in the long term. I don't know that Patricia has those needs, though.

Now, if DocuWare would simply have AutoIndex built in, that would settle the whole issue!  *smile*

Thanks,
Joe Kaufman
Posted Wed, 20 Nov 2019 16:47:55 GMT by Pat Hernandez Marcon International Inc EVP / COO
Gentlemen,

Thank you for the range of options and concerns. We are a very small shop (10 users) and due to the way we use Docuware, do not have the need for Autoindex or Workflow.

Luckily, the need for this field to be searchable is lower priority, but it would be very helpful to my data entry staff.

Thank you all again for your insights, they have been very educational to me.

Best regards,
Pat
Posted Wed, 27 Nov 2019 15:34:27 GMT by David Barlet Technical Manager
Hello Patricia,

The easiest way to do that without AIX and Workflow is to use fulltext search. You will be able to find document by index too !! (included DocID).
You just have to set the DocID number in fulltext search. In some case the result can display document which also contains the DocID number (main case for small ID number), but at least you will be able to find your document

Best regards,
David

You must be signed in to post in this forum.