Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2019 19:05:23 GMT by Craig Heintz SE
Is there any document out there for v7 that shows the steps to move a DW system to a new server?

I found one for 6.x but not 7
Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2019 19:08:34 GMT by Phil Robson DocuWare Corporation Senior Director Professional Services, Americas
*EDITED*

Craig,

Here are the instructions:
https://support.docuware.com/en-us/knowledgebase/article/KBA-36247

Phil Robson
Senior Director Support Americas

Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2019 15:30:56 GMT by Craig Heintz SE
Thanks Phil your instructions worked.  Here are a couple of things I learned when I did this with 7.1

1. When uninstalling on the new system, also uninstall all desktop apps
  2. Be sure to have the correct DW DB user name - the sa account was not it
  3. Once the DB’s are restored, remove the user in the DB level itself then add the User to the main Security for the instance
  4. Assign the user as DBO for each of the DB’s
    1. Properties of DB, File Tab, assign DB Owner
  5. When you launch the installer, you will choose “Extend this system”, Upgrade was not an option
  6. Reinstall desktop apps
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2019 14:01:06 GMT by Casey Miller Director of Technical Services
On the step on the new server right before you uninstall the new installation, it says transfer the main database and the DWSYSTEM backup. What do they mean by main database? All the other DB backups for dwworkflowengine, dwdata, dwnotification, dwnotificationbackup, dwthumbnail?
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2019 14:09:17 GMT by Phil Robson DocuWare Corporation Senior Director Professional Services, Americas
Yes. All of the other DocuWare databases. I will clarify that instruction.

Phil Robson
Senior Director Support Americas

Posted Fri, 24 May 2019 07:57:43 GMT by David Barlet Technical Manager
Hello Phil,
Thanks for theses information. I have just few questions do well understand:
- If our DW System is on one single server using DW internal database, when I uninstall DW on my new server (as I have installed it as described in p.1), it will remove my internal database, so I will not be able to restore that database backup + DWSystem modified. Did I missed something?
- When database backup  is restored on new server, you said to install DW again on this new server and it could propose to update if the version is new. But as I have previously uninstall DW on this new server, how can it know during this new installation step that a DW System is installed? (it was removed, isn't?) 
In fact I don't understand the purpose on the new server to install DW and uninstall it.
Is it not possible on the new server to: (?)
- Stop all services (excepted internal database)
- Remove all database
- Restore the backup of the old server + DWSystem modified
- Change in the DWSERVER table the server name as you described and do all the last step that you described  last page?

Best regards,
David
Posted Tue, 04 Jun 2019 21:36:14 GMT by Connie McMahan Software & Database Manager
If I want to move AND upgrade DocuWare, what is the advice on the order to do this?

I would be upgrading from v6.12 to v7.1.  My database is on a separate SQL server.  I want to end up with DocuWare on a new server.

Can this be done at the same time, or should I move, then upgrade, or upgrade, then move?

Connie
Posted Thu, 06 Jun 2019 19:04:12 GMT by Craig Heintz SE

You do not want to Upgrade and move, and for that sake change any license at the same time.  Each one should be done as a separate event and then validate that it is operational before doing the next step.

I would either move or upgrade and then after you are sure it works, do the other.

Posted Tue, 25 Jun 2019 12:57:13 GMT by Casey Miller Director of Technical Services

I have the same question as David above. I am getting ready to to do the same thing. Mysql and docuware all on one server. We are moving to a new 2016 VM. The VM will have the exact same server name. We will just rename the old server then move the data. What is the purpose of installing and uninstalling? How do you uninstall but still log into mysql to do the DB restore? I don't have to do any DB manipulation because the new VM will be named the same. Can I just install docuware services, stop all services but internal database then drop the dw databases and restore all the right dw databases?

Posted Wed, 03 Jul 2019 13:32:02 GMT by Casey Miller Director of Technical Services
I contacted support and verified that if the new VM is the same name there is no need to install then uninstall the instance. I can just install the internal database for mysql, drop the DW databases and then restore the backup into mysql. Then just install the rest of the services. This procedure is all because the new VM has same name as the old server.
Posted Mon, 23 Sep 2019 07:49:25 GMT by Gerd Hübner Leitung Softwareentwickler
At the weekend I did a move of a Version 7.1 system with mysql to another server and learned a couple of things…
The new server  had the same name as the old one, so I copied the achiv structure (in praxis the virtual disk was copied) and the fulltext Indices to the new server (same paths!) and started with the installation of mysql from the DocuWare msi (InternalDatabase2.msi). Mysql was installed, though not as a service, I had to do this manually…
Now I backed up (dumped) the dw databases from the old system and restored them on the new system. Later I had to learn that a SQL procedure in the dwsytem database has not been copied by this way, so I had to copy it manually..
Last but not least, I had some problems with mysql system tables innodb_table_stats, innodb_index_stats, slave_master_info and slave_master_log_info, which I had to backup and restore manually from the old System.
The good news is, that after having successfully restored the mysql database, the fresh DocuWare Installation (Extension of System!) worked like a charm. To get the Import Jobs running on the new server, I copied the hotfolders.xml and for the fulltext index, the solr.xml has to be copied, so nothing had to be reinstalled manually and everything works now. As a resumee, I would not recommend to do this in that way, if you don't have a founded experience with mysql and DocuWare.
Posted Wed, 02 Oct 2019 21:25:28 GMT by Jonathan Fuentes Support Manager
Hi Everyone

I'm working on a test migration the DW 7.1 upgraded to a new server. exist officially a procedure?

Best Regards
 Jonathan Fuentes
Posted Thu, 03 Oct 2019 07:40:02 GMT by Gerd Hübner Leitung Softwareentwickler
The purpose of installing and uninstalling is, in my opinion, solely to have MySQL installed properly. It looks like the DocuWare setup has no option to install only MySQL. Therefore, don't uninstall via the setup, because MySQL will be uninstalled, too. Instead, you have to uninstall each server component manually and, furthermore, delete the config files in the program and program data folders  after uninstall. Then restore the MySQL backup and then the DocuWare setup will give you the option to use an existing MySQL database for configuration... 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.